NYC - Greenwich Village: 129 MacDougal Street
Worn and slightly altered, this row house dating to 1829, 129 MacDougal Street still retains its silhouette recognizable as Federal-era. Characterized by its 2½ story height, Flemish blond brickwork, low stoop, Ionic columned entrance, peaked roof and pedimented double dormers, No. 129 has been mistakenly claimed as being built for Aaron Burr (even by AIA), but that was refuted in a Landmarks Designation report. In fact, like, Nos. 125, 127 and 129, it was built on lots owned by Alonzo Alwyn Alvord, a downtown hat merchant, which were originally part of the Elbert Herring farm. It does, however, feature pineapple newel posts on the ironwork, one of the few such remaining pairs in the Village. Iron pineapples on railings are a symbol of hospitality; traditionally a returning seaman would set one on his stoop to show that he was home and receiving visitors.
129 MacDougal Street was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission on April 20, 2004.