NYC - Greenwich Village: Salmagundi Club/Irad Hawley House
Originally formed as the New York Sketch Club in 1871, the Salmagundi Club adopted its present name a hundred years ago after Washington Irving published his potpourri of wit and wisdom called "The Salmagundi Papers." The name also serves as the club dining room's famous "Salmagundi Stew".
The club moved to its present location in 1917. The building itself was originally designed as an Italianate mansion for Irad Hawley, president of the Pennsylvania Coal Company, which had its yards along the Greenwich Village waterfront, in 1853. The house is the last of the fashions that once lined the fashionable lower Fifth Avenue.
The Irad Hawley House was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1969.
National Register #74001275