NYC - West Village: Northern Dispensary
This landmark was built as a clinic for the poor in 1831 by carpenter Henry Bayard and mason John C. Tucker, with a third floor added in 1854. It's one of those Village paradoxes—a triangular building, and the only in New York with two streets on one side (Grove and Christopher where they join), and two sides on one street (Waverly Place, where it forks to go off in two directions).
A vernacular Georgian building with sheet metal lintels and cornice of a later period, it operated continuously as a public clinic from its founding in until 1989. The Dispensary's most famous patient was Edgar Allen Poe who was treated for a head cold in 1837. In 1960 it became a dental clinic, best known for refusing an HIV-positive patient in 1986, who sued and bankrupted the clinic. It was reopened as the Hostel for the Disabled in 1997.