NYC - West Village: Bleecker Playground
Opened in 1966, Bleecker Playground's name derives from its location on Bleecker Street which once ran through the Bleecker family farm, ceded to the City in 1809. This land, reviously an octagonal bandstand and comfort station, was acquired by Parks in 1963 as an extension of **Abingdon Square Park**. Its development followed the implementation of a new traffic pattern that involved the widening of Bleecker Street and elimination of part of the bed of Bank Street. A number of warehouses, as well as a circular comfort station under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Works, were demolished to make room for the new playground, which was the first of its kind in the West Village.