NYC: The High Line - 10th Avenue Square
The Highline is an abandoned 1.45 mile section of the former elevated freight railroad of the West Side Line that runs south from 34th Street near the Javits Convention Center to Gansevoort Street in the West Village. Built by the New York Central Railroad in 1930, the original 13-mile long project was designed to go through the center of blocks, connecting directly to factories and warehouses. The rise of interstate trucking in the 50's led to a decline in rail traffic, and parts were torn down during the 1960s. Trains stopped running on the line in 1980, and a 5-block stretch was demolished in 1991. Privately owned by CSX Transportation, it was left to a state of disrepair, with wild grass and plants growing along most of the route.
In 1999, Joshua David and Robert Hammond founded a community-based group, the Friends of the High Line (FHL), to advocate for the High Line's preservation and reuse as public open space. In 2003, FHL launched "Designing the High Line", an open, international ideas competition, with a goal of attracting visionary design proposals. CSX turned over the line south of 30th Street to the New York City government, who in 2004 committed $50 million to established an elevated park under the guidance of landscape firm Field Operations and architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro.
The southern section, from Gansevoort Street to 20th Street reopened to the public on June 8, 2009. The park features an integrating landscape, designed by landscape architects James Corner Field Operations, with architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro, combining meandering concrete pathways with naturalistic plantings. Fixed and movable seating, lighting, and special features are also included in the park.hhh It includes five access stairways and two elevators.