NYC - Civic Center: New York County Lawyers’ Association Building
The New York County Lawyers' Association's (NYLCA) landmark building was designed in a neo-Federal/18th-century English Georgian style by Cass Gilbert. Constructed out of Vermont Marble and limestone, it was dedicated as the "Home of Law" on May 26, 1930 on land obtained from the Astor family. On the second floor, the magnificent Auditorium, also known as Andrew Hamilton Hall, is modeled after Independence Hall in Philadelphia.
The NYLCA has historically been one of the largest and most influential county bar associations in the country. At the time of its founding in 1907, the only existing bar association in Manhattan precluded some lawyers from membership by virtue of ethnicity, religion, sex and race. From the 143 founders to the over 8,500 current members, the NYLCA has actively pursued aggressive reform.
The New York County Lawyers' Association was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1965.