NYC - TriBeCa: American Thread Company Building
The eleven story building at 260 West Broadway was built by the New York Wool Warehouse Company as the New York Wool Exchange in 1894-1896. The Wool Warehouse Company, a business venture by a group of wool men, sought to create not only a building exclusively for the wool trades but also an actual trading organization, the Wool Exchange, with the intent of wresting control of the wool trade from Boston. The exchange never materialized and both the Wool Warehouse and company and the bank that supported it failed in 1898.
By 1907, the newly formed American Thread Company had taken over the building and since the 1920’s the building has been known by that name. Designed by William B. Tubby in the Renaissance revival style, the building was advanced in the simplicity of its overall design, prefiguring the Colonial and Federal revivals which were not popular in New York until after 1900.
Today its impressive, broad facades curving from Beach Street into West Broadway make the former New York Wool Exchange a distinguished downtown landmark, and it has recently been converted to residential use.
National Register #04001532 (2005)