NYC - TriBeCa: AT&T Building
The AT&T Building was built in 1930-1932 by Ralph Walker of Gmelin & Walker for the American Telephone & Telegraph Company. The building was originally called the AT&T Long Distance Building, and its 105,500 m² space housed the technical offices and equipment for company's transatlantic communications. When the Midtown headquarters building was sold to Sony in 1992, AT&T moved its head offices here.
The massive rough-textured brick-clad "pyramid" facade has stripe motifs to enhance verticality, and its linear ornament reflects a technology inspired aesthetic. The Church Street side of the facade is oblique in direction of the street. In the ceramic tiled lobby walls are trimmed with marble, a terazzo floor and bronze doors. One wall is covered with a tiled map of the world and the ceiling features a stucco and glass mosaic allegory of long distance communication to Africa, ASia, Australia and Europe.
In 2000 the Rudin Organization bought the building for $100 million and undertook $140 million worth of renovation work. At one point, Rudin planned to dedicate about half the 1.1 million-square-foot property to telecom space. But the collapse of the telecom industry forced the company to announce that about 250,000 square feet will be marketed as office space for lower rents.
The Long Distance Building of the American Telephone & Telegraph Company was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1991.