NYC - Bowling Green: Number One Broadway
One Broadway, now a Citibank, was formerly the International Mercantile Marine Company Building. This 1882 neoclassical building marks the beginning of Broadway. It was purchased by the IMM and reclad from 1919-1921 by the IMM, a firm organized in 1902 by J.P. Morgan that combined several independent steamship companies into one power entity, later known as the United States Line. Like their competitor, The Cunard Line, did with their building, the IMM redid the faced in a nautical theme. The grand entryway is surrounded by shells and sea icons, and the second floor windows alternate with colorful Venetian mosaic shields of great port cities. The two Battery Place entrances, one for First Class, the other for Cabin Class, led into an elegant ticketing hall modeled after an 18th century ballroom. Inside, two gigantic murals depict shipping lanes and a compass dominates the marble floor.
The site itself has a history as great as any in New York City. Adjoining it stood the first Dutch fort on Manhattan Island known as Fort Amsterdam. The first house was erected here before 1664. In 1771 Captain Archibald Kennedy built his residence which was used in 1776 by General Washington as his headquarters and later by General Howe during the British occupation. It was later used as a hotel, torn down in 1882 and replaced by the Washington Building, which was later transformed into the building we know today.
The International Mercantile Marine Company Building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1995.
National Register #91000108 (1991)