NYC - LES: Nathan Straus Square
Formerly known as Rutgers Square, the triangular Nathan Straus Square at the intersection of E. Broadway, Rutgers and Essex St was rededicated in 1931 for the Jewish philanthropist. In 1919 Straus sponsored a program of free sterilized milk stations for children throughout the country. He was also a partner in the R.H. Macy enterprise with his brother, Isadore (who went down on the Titanic with his wife). The Square served as an important center of political activity for Jewish immigrants.
The circular marble shaft was erected in tribute to the servicemen to the servicemen of the Lower East Side who gave their lives in both World Wars.