Bergdorf Goodman's 2008 Holiday window display, Calendar Girls, featured a year-round journey with seasonal muses in ethereal white-on-white schemes. David Hoey and his window design team drew inspiration for the theme from the dioramas at the American Museum of Natural History. The 58th Street windows, as well as those of the men's department across the street, featured fanciful anthropomorphistic depictions of leisure-time activities.
Bergdorf Goodman began in 1899 when Herman Bergdorf, an immigrant from Alsace, opened a tailor shop just above Union Square. Edwin Goodman, an employee of Bergdorf's, purchased the store then located in the "Ladies' Mile" in 1906. In 1914, Goodman became the first couturier to introduce ready-to-wear. The store moved to its present location at 5th Avenue and 58th Street in 1928, building its Art Deco store on the site of the William K. Vanderbilt mansion. The men's store was moved across the street to the old FAO Schwarz space at 745 Fifth Avenue in 1990.