UK - London - Bankside - Shakespeare's Globe - Theatre's stage
The original Globe was an Elizabethan theatre in December 1598 to January 1599 in Southwark. The Globe was the principal playhouse of the Lord Chamberlain's Men (who would become the King's Men in 1603). Most of Shakespeare's post-1599 plays were originally staged at the Globe, including Julius Caesar, Macbeth, Othello, King Lear and Hamlet. Like all the other theatres in London, the Globe was closed down by the Puritans in 1642. It was destroyed in 1644 to make room for tenements. Its exact location remained unknown until remnants of its foundations were discovered in 1989 beneath Anchor Terrace on Park Street.
At the instigation of Sam Wanamaker, a new Globe theatre was built according to an Elizabethan plan. The structural design was carried out by Buro Happold with Pentagram as the architects. It opened in 1997 under the name "Shakespeare's Globe Theatre" and now stages plays every summer.
The new theatre is 200 yards from the original site, and was the first thatched roof building permitted in London since the Great Fire of London of 1666. As in the original, both the stage and the audience are outdoors.