UK - London - Trafalgar Square
The fountains were not part of Sir Charles Barry's original plan for Trafalgar Square. In 145 Barry added two red, polished granite fountains in response to the fears that crowds might gather in the otherwise large open space. In 1938, Sir Edwin Lutyens was commissioned to remodel the fountains, which are faced with blue tiles to enhance the water's reflections and contain bronze figures of tritons, mermaids and dolphins.
Sir Francis Legatt Chantrey created this equestion statue of King George IV (1762 -1830) for the top of Marble Arch but it was finally erected in Trafalgar Square, atop the northwest plinth, in 1843. George IV, who paid a third of the 9000 guinea cost of the statue, chose the theatrical pose himself and is shown in Roman dress riding bareback without stirrupts.
The National Gallery, located on the north side of Trafalgar Square, has over 2,300 paintings, most on permanent display. The collection ranges from early works by cimabue, in the 13th-century, to 19th-century Impressionists, but its particular strengths are in Dutch, early Renaissance Italian, and 17th -century Spanish painting.