NYC - NoLIta: Puck Building
The Puck Building, at 295-307 Lafayette Street, was originally built to house the offices and printing plant of Puck, America's first successful humor magazine, and J. Ottman Lithographing Co., which printed the magazine's famous chromolithographc cartoons. The Romanesque Revival or Rundbogenstil (German round-arched neo-Romanesque) style building features two gilded figures of Shakespeare's character Puck in its façade--the one at the original entrance on Houston and Mulberry by Casper Buberl, and the one on Lafayette Street by Henry Baerer. Both fourt feet statues are made of gilded metal and date to 1885.
The two original wings, designed by Albert Wagner in 1885-86 and 1892-93, fronted only on Houston and Mulberry Streets. In the late 1890's, Lafayette Street was extended through the block, and two bays of the Puck Building's Houston Street facade and the building's entire west wall were demolished. Herman Wagner designed the new Lafayette Street elevation to conform to the original design.
Puck Magazine ceased publication in 1918 and the building now contains office space as well as ballrooms for large events on both the ground floor and the top floor. In the 1980s it was the home of Spy Magazine, whose editors informally dubbed it "The Spy Building". In the early 2000s, the building housed the Manhattan Center of Pratt Institute. Since 2004, the Puck Building has been home to New York University's Wagner Graduate School of Public Service.
The Puck Building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1983.
National Register #83001740 (1983)