Philadelphia - Old City: Robert Morris statue
This statue of Robert Morris, by sculptor Paul Wayland Bartlett, was cast in 1925 and originally dedicated on the Chestnut Street steps of the Second Bank of the United States on June 18, 1926. In 1961, it was moved to its current site in a courtyard, facing north towards the bank. The statue depicts Morris making his way through the snow during his mission to raise funds for Washington's troops at Valley Forge. In his proper left coat pocket is a scroll representing the $1,400,000 subscription list he obtained in order to help Americans win at Yorktown.
A memorial committee formed in 1897 by the Welshmen of South Wales and the Bankers' Association of Pennsylvania raised 10,000 dollars by 1911. The state legislature contributed another 21,000 dollars. In 1915, the Fairmount Park Art Association awarded the contract to artist Richard E. Brooks, but when he died two years later, the commission went to Bartlett who created his own original sculpture after studied up Robert Morris for the next year. The statue was completed shortly before Bartlett's death. Piccirilli Brothers carved the base.
Robert Morris Jr. (1734-1806) was an American merchant and a signer to the United States Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the United States Constitution. Morris was known as the Financier of the Revolution, because of his role in securing financial assistance for the American side in the Revolutionary War. Ironically, he was sent to debtor's prison in later life.
Independence National Historical Park preserves several sites associated with the American Revolution. Administered by the National Park Service, the 45-acre park was authorized in 1948, and established on July 4, 1956.
Independence National Park National Register #66000675 (1966)