New Orleans - Garden District: Gilmour-Parker House
The Thomas Gilmour House, alternatively referred to as the Gilmour-Parker House or the Gilmore-Christovich House, located at 2520 Prytania Street, was built for Thomas Corse Gilmour and his wife, Anna, in 1853. Designed and built by Isaac Thayer, it was the first assymetrical, and one of the earliest examples of, Italianate architecture in the city.
When Gilmour, a cotton merchant, died suddenly in his native England in 1865, his father-in-law, Godfrey Barnsley, was unable to find a buyer for the house in a stagnant postwawr economy. Anna, then living in England, eventually rented the house to John Milliken Parker Sr., a cottoner borker, and his wife, Roberto Buckner Parker, who eventually bought the house in 1882 for $18,000. The Parkers' son, John Milliken Parker, Jr., who served as Governor of Louisiana from 1920-1924, lived here, where he entertained his hunting companion, Theodore Roosevelt. The Parkers enlarged the house between 1897 and 1899 with a dining room extension with bay windows.
In 1985, Mr. and Mrs. William K. Christovich acquired the house and engaged Samuel Wilson Jr., the eminent restoration architect in New Orleans, to restore it to its mid-nineteenth century grace.
Garden District National Register #71000358 (1971)