New Orleans - French Quarter: Royal Street
Royal Street is one of the oldest streets in New Orleans dating from the French Coloinial era. When New Orleans was the capital of the Spanish Province of Louisiana from 1762-1803, it bore the name Calle Real. Starting at Canal Street (below which it becomes St. Charles Avenue), Royal Street runs through the French Quarter, Fauborg Marigny, Bywater, and, across the Industrial Canal into the Lower 9th Ward onto to the Jackson Barracks at the border of St. Bernard Parish. Its most famous strech, running one block riverside of Bourbon Street through the French Quarter, is lined with antique shops, art galleries, hotels and restaurants.
The street name plates that litter the French Quarter are Spanish Talavera tiles--hand painted soft clay moulded tiles originating in the area of Talavera de la Reina, Spain. Spanish Potters brought the Arabic-Andalusian influenced style with them to Mexico. The murals in the French Quarter were given to New Orleans in 1962.
Vieux Carré Historic District National Register #66000377 (1966)