NYC - Brooklyn Museum - Lid of the Sarcophagus of Padiinpu
Lid of the Sarcophagus of Padiinpu
Ptolemaic Period, 305-30 BC
From Hardai (Kynopolis)
34.1222, Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund
Although anthropoid, or mummiform, coffins made of stone instead of wood first appeared during the New Kingdom (circa 1539-1070 BC), they did not become common until the Late Period (circa 664-332 BC). The change from wood to stone reflects a step toward permanent protection in the afterlife.
Padiinpu, the owner of this limestone sarcophagus, served as a scribe attached to the cult of the god Inpu (called Anubis by the Greeks) who was lord of the city of Hardai. He also served as a royal scribe and as a priest in a cult of the goddess Hathor. Padiinpu, who was named for the god Inpu, was the father of the owner of a similar lid displayed on the opposite side of the doorway.
The Brooklyn Museum, sitting at the border of Prospect Heights and Crown Heights near Prospect Park, is the second largest art museum in New York City. Opened in 1897 under the leadership of Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences president John B. Woodward, the 560,000-square foot, Beaux-Arts building houses a permanent collection including more than one-and-a-half million objects, from ancient Egyptian masterpieces to contemporary art.
The Brooklyn Museum was designated a landmark by the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1966.
National Historic Register #770009
This photo is in 1 album
- Bklyn: Brooklyn Museum 166 items