NYC - TriBeCa: Cary Building
Erected in 1857 by William H. Cary, in the midst of a westward construction boom, for the dry-goods firm of Cary, Howard and Sanger, which dated to the 1830's. Designed by King & Kellum, and cast by Daniel Badger's Architectural Iron Works, the Cary Building has twin five-story cast-iron facades facing Chambers and Reade Street (the later of which is pictured here).
Cary died in 1861, and although Cary, Howard & Sanger dissolved, the family held onto 105 Chambers through the 1950's. During the 1920's, Chambers Street was widened, giving the Cary Building not only its current corner position, but also a decidedly unimpressive contrasting eastern facade.
At the turn of the 21st century, Chambers Street L.L.C., undertook an extensive restoration. Martin J. Marcus designed commercial spaces for the first four floors. Li/Saltzman Architects designed residential spaces for the top floor. The exterior, which had fallen to extensive rust stains, was restored to its original paint color, after a microscopic paint analysis performed by Historic Preservation and Illumination.
The Cary Building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1982.