NYC: Trinity Church and Burial Ground - John Watts
The imposing statue of John Watts stands an imposing 9-feet and 3-inches tall, making it visible from beyond the railing in Trinity Churchyard. George E. Bissell's statue, which rests upon a 7-foot high marble pedestal, was commissioned by Major General John Watts de Peyster to decorate his ancestor's tomb.
John Watts (August 27, 1749–September 3, 1836) was a lawyer and politician from New York City. He was the last recorder of New York under the English Crown. Watts later served as a member of the New York State Assembly from 1791 to 1793, serving as speaker during these three terms. He was a member of the commission to build Newgate Prison, New York City, 1796-1799. Watts was elected to the Third United States Congress, representing New York State. He later served as a judge of Westchester County and founded and endowed the Leake and Watts Orphan House.
Trinity Church, prominently located at the terminus of Wall Street at 79 Broadway, is the oldest Episcopal church in New York City, having been consecrated on Ascension Day May 1, 1846. Designed by architect Richard Upjohn, Trinity is considered a classic example of Gothic Revival architecture. At the time of its completion, the 281-foot spire was the highest point in New York until being surpassed in 1890 by the New York World Building.
The adjoining Trinity Churchyard Cemetery, opened in 1697, is one of three separate burial grounds that make up the non-denominational Trinity Church Cemetery (the others being the Churchyard of St. Paul's Chapel and the Trinity Church Cemetery and Mausoleum at the Chapel of Intercession). Among the 1,186 interred here are Alexander Hamilton, William Bradford, Robert Fulton (memorial tribute), Captain James Lawrence, Horatio Gates, and Albert Gallatin. There are also memorials to the unknown martyrs of the Revolution buried on the grounds, 16 officers of the Continental Army and Navy buried in the church cemeteries, and to the thousands of Americans who died in prison ships in New York Harbor.
Trinity Church and Graveyard was designated a landmark by the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1966.
National Register #76001252 (1982)