NYC - LES - Russ & Daughters
Russ & Daughters, located at 179 East Houston Street, is a fourth-generation appetizing store. Joel Russ, an immigrant from Eastern Europe, arrived on New York's lower east side at the turn of the century and starting out selling herrings from a pushcart. In 1914, he opened a storefront on Orchard Street before moving into the present former tenement building around the corner in 1920. He called it "Russ' Cut-Rate Appetizers.
Russ' temper was famous in the neighborhood and business lagged until his three pretty, personable daughters--Haddie, Ida and Anne--took over behind the counter. In 1978, after 10 years of practicing law, Mark Russ Federman, Ane's son, returned to the family business to help run the operation alongside his wife, Maria. In 2002, Joshua Russ Tupper left his career as a chemical engineer to continue to the family legacy, and was joined by cousin Niki Russ Federman in 2006.
In the early days, stock was limited to schmaltz herring, pickles and salt-cured lox. Today, offerings include whitefish, sable, sturgeon, caviar, salmon, gravlax, herring, nuts, dried fruit, halvah and chocolate.