NYC - American Surety Building
The American Surety Company Building, at 100 Broadway, on the corner of Pine Street opposite Trinity Church, was built to the design of architect Bruce Price from 1894-1896. When erected, the 21-story, 312-foot neo-Classical skyscraper with Beaux Arts influences was the second tallest building in New York behind the Manhattan Life Building, which is no longer standing.
Clad in Maine granite, Price's design features a rich neo-Renaissance decorative scheme incorporating Greek elements like an Ionic entrance colonnade and classical sculptural figures, designed by J. Massey Rhind, at the third story. Credited with popularizing the tripartite column analogy for tall buildings, the American Surety Building set a model for tall buildings on corner sites on the 1890's and was a prototype for the freestanding tower skyscrapers of the early twentieth century.
Between 1920 and 1922, the building was modified with the addition of four bays on Broadway and four bays on Pine Street and by the addition of two penthouse stories. Designed by the New York architect Herman Lee Meader, these additions matched Price's original designs in material and articulation. The building was renovated for the Bank of Tokyo between 1973 and 1976, at which time the windows were replaced and an open arcade was created along Broadway. Further renovations and improvements were made by Hiro Enterprise U.S.A., Inc. between 1997 and 1998. The building was declared an historic landmark on June 24, 1997.
The American Surety Company Building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1997.