The fourth and final incarnation of the Polo Grounds, home to, at different times, the New York Giants was demolished in 1964, and a public housing project--the fourt 30-story apartment building The Polo Grounds Towers was erected on the site. Willie Mays Field (an asphalt playground with 6 basketball courts) is where center field used to be; a brass historical marker notes the spot. Demolition of the Polo Grounds began in April of that year with the same wrecking ball that had been used four years earlier on Ebbets Field. The wrecking crew wore Giants jerseys and tipped their hard hats to the historic stadium as they began the dismantling. It took a crew of 60 workers more than four months to level the structure.
The Polo Grounds IV served as home to the following teams:
* New York Giants (NL), 1911-1957
* New York Yankees (AL), 1913-1922
* New York Giants (NFL), 1925-1955
* New York Bulldogs (NFL), 1949
* New York Titans/Jets (AFL), 1960-1963
* New York Mets (NL), 1962-1963