NYC - Bronx - Bronx Zoo - Eagle statue
During the years of 1906-1922, William T. Hornaday worked industriously to establish the National Collection of Heads and Horns at the Bronx Zoo in New York City. Opened in a large building in 1922, the collection was dedicated to "...the vanishing big-game animals of the world." Today, the collection is the property of the Boone and Crockett Club and is on display at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming. Thebuilding now serves as the Security, Education & International Conservation Offices for the Wild Conservation Society.
The Bronx Zoo, located within the Bronx Park, is the largest metropolitan zoo in the United States, comprising 265 acres of parklands and naturalistic habitats and home to over 4,000 animals. Focused on conservation, it opened on November 8, 1899, with 22 exhibits, 843 animals. The zoo's origins date back to 1895, with the establishment of the New York Zoological Society (NYZS), renamed Wild Conservation Society (WCS) in 1993. Only the outer structure of the World of Reptiles remains much as it was in 1899. With the 1941 opening of African Plains, the Bronx Zoo was one of the first U.S. zoos to move away from cages and exhibit animals in naturalistic habitats.