Baltimore - Camden Yards: B&O Warehouse
Oriole Park at Camden Yards opened on April 6, 1992, replacing Memorial Stadium as the home field of the Baltimore Orioles of Major League Baseball. The success of HOK Sport's retro-style Camden Yards sparked a trend in other cities of constructing more traditional, fan-friendly ballparks in downtown locations.
Built on land that once served as the rail yard for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's Camden Station, the view from much of the park is dominated by the former B&O Warehouse behind the right-field wall. The 1,116-foot long eight-story brick structure was constructed between 1899 and 1905. With 430,000 square feet (almost 40,000 m²) of floor space it was advertised as being large enough to hold a thousand carloads of freight. The warehouse was used by the B&O through the 1960's, but was motly vacant by the 1970s. Today, it contains team offices for the Orioles, service spaces, and a private club.
Eutaw Street, between the stadium and the warehouse, is closed to vehicular traffic and open to ticketholders fans who can get watch the action from Standing Room Only areas, or visit the many shops and restaurants that line the thoroughfare, including Boog's BBQ. Many home run balls have landed on Eutaw Street, and the spots are marked with small baseball-shaped bronze plaques, including one for the only ball to ever hit the warehouse--a 445-foot shot by Ken Griffey Jr. on July 12, 1993 during the 1993 All Star Game Home Run Derby. The Orioles Hall of Fame plaques are located near the north end of Eutaw Street, and, just outside Gate H are 4-foot aluminum monuments depicting retired Orioles uniform numbers and Susan Luery's statue of Babe Ruth, Babe's Dream.
Camden Yards is the first major league park to have an outfield wall made up entirely of straight wall segments since Ebbets Field. The playing field is 16 feet below street level. The bullpen area was designed after many write-in designs were submitted by the public. Its unique two-tiered design was a first in major league parks. The scoreboard in center field advertises The Baltimore Sun--the "H" in "The Sun" flashes to show a scoring decision of a hit, and the "E" flashes to show an error.
In 2007, Oriole Park at Camden Yards was ranked #122 on the AIA 150 America's Favorite Architecture list.