Maryland - Havre de Grace: Amtrak Susquehanna River Bridge
The Amtrak Susquehanna River Bridge is a Howe deck truss structure that carries Amtrak's Northeast Corridor line across the Susquehanna River between Havre de Grace, Maryland and Perryville, Maryland. The bridge was initailly built by the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) from 1904-1906, adjacent to the 1866 wooden, single-track, Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore (PW&B) railroad bridge, which it eventually replaced. Ownership of the bridge passed to Amtrak in 1976 when it acquired much of the Northeast Corridor infrastructure.
It 4,153 feet (1,266 m) long bridge includes a center swing span to increase vertical clearance for water traffic from the nominal 52 feet (16 m). In 1934-1935, the PRR installed catenary on the span when 11,000 volt electrification was extended south from Wilmington, Delaware to Washington, DC. Regular electrified passenger service across the bridge began on February 10, 1935.
Havre de Grace Historic District National Register #82002815 (1982)