Brooklyn - Prospect Park: Oriental Pavilion
The original plan of Prospect Park, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux in 1866, left blank this area of the park, except for the written labels "Concourse for Pedestrians" and "Music Stand." With the park under construction around 1870, Olmsted and Vaux elaborated their design to accommodate musical performances. Within an otherwise pastoral park, they set formal grounds with terraces and a radial arrangement of walkways, punctuated by lineally arranged trees, lavish floral beds and elaborate decorative carvings in New Brunswick sandstone. Noting that, "Promenade concerts are common in many European pleasure grounds [and were] universal in German towns, common in French, and less so in British," they sought in the concert grove to achieve a place with this purpose in mind.
At the north end was built the Concert Grove House, demolished in 1949, and at the south end Vaux designed the Concert Grove Pavilion, completed in 1874. Made of eight cast-iron posts modeled after Hindu columns of the medieval period (8th to 12th centuries), and supporting an elaborately painted hipped roof with stained-glass cupola, the structure--restored in 1987--is also known as the Oriental Pavilion. At one time it was used as an open-air restaurant.
Prospect Park National Register #80002637