The William J. Brennan Courthouse, at 583 Newark Avenue, was originally built in 1910 as the Hudson County Courthouse. The building was closed for many years and faced demolition before it was restored and renamed in 1985. The courthouse, topped by a copper cupola that supports a victory torch, is designed in the Renaissance Revival style by architect Hugh Roberts with soaring Corinthian columns, exquisite balconies, decorative scrolls, and the heads of lions set in the granite exterior. The Director of Decoration for the 1893 Columbian Exposition, Francis D. Millet, executed the interior in marble with a bronze great seal of the State of New Jersey. Marble pillars support a stained glass dome circled by the astrological symbols Edwin H. Blashfield, Charles Yardley Turner, Kenyon Cox, and Howard Pyle, eminent muralists, added scenes of important events in the history of the region.
New Jersey State Register (1970)
National Register #70000385