NYC - Chelsea: Salvation Army Centennial Memorial Temple
The Salvation Army was founded in 1865 by William Booth, with the assistance of his wife, Catherine Booth. In 1865, Booth, a Methodist minister, began holding outdoor meetings and revivals in tents and theatres in London. The movement was originally known as the East London Revival Society, which was renamed the Christian Mission, and in 1878 was designated the Salvation Army. A military form of organization, with uniforms and other distinctive features, was adopted in the interest of a more effective “warfare against evil.” The Army operates hospitals, community centers, alcoholic and drug rehabilitation programs, emergency and disaster services, social work centers, and recreation facilities. Salvation Army work in the United States dates from 1880, when Commissioner George Railton and seven women workers from England founded a branch in Pennsylvania.
In 1895, a headquarters designed by Gilbert A. Schellenger was built at 120 West 14th Street in New York City. In 1904, Evangeline Booth (1865-1950), daughter of the founder, was put in command of the work in the United States. In 1929, Eva Booth commissioned a new National Headquarters complex to be built on the same site, as designed by Ralph Walker of Voorhees, Gmelin & Walker. The Ziggurat Moderne buildings house administrative offices and meeting rooms, a residence hotel for working females, and the Centennial Memorial Temple, a 1,600-seat auditorium opened in 1930 to honor the hundredth anniversary of William Booth's birth. In 1982, the Army's national headquarters moved to New Jersey, and the New York City complex now serves as the Greater New York Division Headquarters.