NYC - Chelsea: New York Savings Bank Building
The New York Savings Bank Building, at 81 Eight Avenue, was built to the design of Robert Henderson Robertson (R.H. Robertson) from 1896-97. The corner buiilding, designed to be a visual landmark at the intersection of West 14th Street and Eigth Avenue, is an early example of Classical Revival bank design, begun only a year after McKim, Mead & White's pioneering Bowery Savings Bank.
The New York Savings Bank was founded in 1854 as the Rose Hill before moving to this location four in 1860 and changing its name asin 1862. By 1876 it was of middling size, with $3.2 million in assets and 14th Street had become a major east-west thoroughfare, causing the bank to plan a new building in 1896. In 1963 the New York Savings Bank merged with the Bank for Savings, producing the New York Bank for Savings. That summer Goldome, the successor to the merged bank, moved out of the building, leaving it vacant. A restoration was undertaken by Robert Scarano, Jr for Central Carpet. It is now home to Balducci's, an upscale grocery store.
Faced entirely in "pure white" South Dover Vermont marble, the bank has a temple front supported by a pair of Corinthian columbs and is croned by a command copper dome with a clerestory of twenty stained-glass windows. The interior of the L-shaped building consists of a grand banking hall with shallow coffered vault supported by columns and pilasters of Siena marble.
The New York Savings Bank was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1988.
National Regitser #99001657 (2000)