NYC - Chelsea - New York County National Bank Building
The New York County National Bank Building, at 77 Eighth Avenue was built to the design of DeLemos & Cordes, with Rudolph L. Daus from 1906-1907. The New York County National Bank, founded in 1855, erected this small but imposing neoclassical limestone-faced bank with Beaux-Arts motifs, where they resided until the late 1920s, then became a branch of Manufacturers Trust Co. in the early 1930s. Manufacturers Trust Co. became Manufacturers Hanover Trust in the mid-1960s, and they operated a branch bank here until around 1993-94 when Manufacturers Hanover merged with Chemical Bank. After a 1999 renovation it became a theater and it is now Nickel, a 4,500-square foot spa for men. Nickel was created by Philippe Dumont in Paris in 1996. They expanded to Le Printemps in 1999 and then opened here in 2001 before expanding to San Francisco 2 years later.
The French influence is evident in the arched windows, with their visible iron framing, and in the exuberant quality of the carving. The caduceuses on the side presumably refer to Mercury as god of commerce.
De Lemos & Cordes, Theodore W. E. De Lemos and August Wilhelm Cordes, also designed the Siegel Cooper Store, the Adams Dry Goods Store, and Macy's Herald Square.
The New York County National Bank Building was designated a landmark, as Manufactuers Hanover Trust Company Building, by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1988.