NYC: South Street Seaport and Ambrose
Now known by her last official designation "Ambrose," NO. 87 was built (1907) to serve as the first lightship on the newly established Nantucket station, where she served to guide mariners into the nation's busiest port, New York. NO. 87 is also important in the history of radio, being the first successful shipboard radio beacon used to guide ships at long distances in poor weather.
It sits within the South Street Seaport Hisoric District and Extension, which was designated a historic district by the New York City Landmarks Preservation commission in 1977 and 1989.
Amborse National Register #84002758
South Street Seaport National Register #72000883
South Street Seaport Historic District National Register #72000884