NYC: HSBC Bank Tower - Knox Hat Building
The Knox Hat Building, built to the design of John H. Duncan in 1902, on the southwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street, originally housed the retail store and office of one of the country's best-known manufacturer's of hats. With its limestone and white brick facdes, the Knox Building is a fine example of Beaux-Arts commercial architecture.
Remodeled into a bank building for Republic National by Kahn & Jacobs in 1965. In 1983, Attia and Perkins incorporated the Victorian facade into their design for a new bank tower, with a staggered north facade that increasingly projects further over the Knox building as it advances westward. In 2006, HSCBC took over Republic Bank, lending the tower its new name.
The Knox Hat Building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1980.
National Register #82003381 (1982)