CT - New Haven: Free Public Library
The New Haven Free Public Library, designed by Cass Gilbert in 1908 in brick and marble to harmonize with the traditional architecture of its neighborhood, was formally dedicated to the City of New Haven on May 27, 1911. On the site that once housed David Hoadley's Bristol House, it replaced the Chapel Street location that servd as its home since its 1887.
Murals in the main library originated as Public Works Administration projects. Two lunettes in the main hall, designed by Bancel LaFarge of Mt. Carmel, Connecticut, depict scenes from New Haven's history. The Rip Van Winkle murals in the meeting room were painted in 1934 by a team of artists led by Salvatore DiNaio and Frank J. Rutkowski. There is also a set of stained glass windows in the Ives Library designed by David Wilson of South New Berlin, New York including circular and rectangular laylights as well as rectangular and half-round windows.
There are also neighborhood branches in Westville (Mitchell), Fair Haven, Dixwell (Stetson) and The Hill (Wilson).