NYC - Morningside Heights: The Jewish Theological Seminary of America
The Jewish Theological Seminary of America (JTS) is one of the academic and spiritual centers of Conservative Judaism. Founded in 1886 through the efforts of two distinguished rabbis, Dr. Sabato Morais and Dr. H. Pereira Mendes, along with a group of prominent lay leaders from Sephardic congregations in Philadelphia and New York, iIts mission was to preserve the knowledge and practice of historical Judaism. It takes its name and basic ideology from the no longer extant Jewish Theological Seminary of Breslau.
In 1887, JTS held its first class of ten students in the vestry of the Spanish-Portuguese Synagogue, New York City's oldest congregation. JTS schools and facilities include The Graduate School; The Rabbinical School; H. L. Miller Cantorial School and College of Jewish Music; William Davidson Graduate School of Jewish Education; Albert A. List College of Jewish Studies; the Rebecca and Israel Ivry Prozdor High School, a model supplementary high school; a summer school; five research institutes, including the Melton Research Center for Jewish Education; lay leadership and professional institutes; community education programs; student residence halls; and the incomparable collections of JTS's world-renowned library.