new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
NYC - UWS: 72nd Street Control House | by wallyg
Back to photostream

NYC - UWS: 72nd Street Control House

The 72nd Street IRT Control House, located at 72nd Street in Broadway, is one of only three subway station control houses left in New York City. This entry to the subway was built in 1905 by Heins & LaFarge. Along with its twin control house for the IRT station at Battery Park, this building is a reminder of the glory of New York's first subway, the Interborough Rapid Transit Company. Although most of the original subway's entry points had steel and glass kiosks, important stations like this one were marked with brick and stone structures meant to resemble garden pavilions.

 

72nd Street station on the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line, located at the intersection of Broadway, 72nd Street and Amsterdam Avenue (also known as Verdi Square) was opened on October 27, 1904.The station is served by the 1 and 2 trains at all times, and by the 3 train at all times except late nights.

 

The original configuration of the station was inadequate by IRT standards. It had just one entrance (the headhouse between 71st and 72nd Streets), there was no crossover between the uptown and downtown sides of the station, and the platforms and stairways were unusually narrow. A substantial renovation was completed in October 2002, providing a new headhouse between 72nd and 73rd Streets, slightly wider platforms at the north end of the station, a crossover, and ADA compliance. The station remains unusual, in that the only access points are in the middle of traffic islands, with no station entrances from the sidewalk.

 

During the 1950s, the New York City Transit Authority (now MTA) considered converting the station to a local station by walling off the express tracks from the platforms. This would have coincided with 59th Street–Columbus Circle station becoming an express stop.

 

The 72nd Street Control House was designated a landmark, along with the Battery Park Control House, by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1973.

 

National Historic Register #80002684 (1980)

 

3,364 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on August 4, 2007