NYC - UWS: Central Savings Bank
The Central Savings Bank, also known as the Apple Savings Bank for Savings, at 2100-2108 Broadway was designed by Edward York and Philip Sawyer in 1928. The tall, large banking floor still serves Apple Savings Bank, but the old-fashioned second through fifth floors, which used to provide one of the most impressive office spaces in the city, have been converted to apartments. Samuel Yellin is responsible for the design of the grilles, gates, lanterns, brackets, doors, windows, bank screens, mail box, signs and a revision to the lock for the safe deposit grille.
York and Sawyer, architects of the 1924 Federal Reserve Bank, were selected to architect the $2.5 million building on a long, narrow trapezoid plot of land with a narrow south facade facing Verdi Square. To balance the Parisian aesthetic of the nearby Ansonia, a sober limestone facade was used--the lower section deeply cut with blocks as large as 2'x6'. The banking floor has vaulted 65 feet high ceilings with rich ironwork and a multicolored marble floor. The four upper floors, laid out around an irregular, trapezoidal, doughnut-shaped corridor were designed with terrazzo floors, wide hallways and glass-paneled doors.
The Central Savings Bank was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1990.
National Register #83001720 (1983)