new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Switchbacks | by W9JIM
Back to photostream

Switchbacks

One more look at the Shafer Trail, from the canyon rim.

 

The Shafer Trail began life as a cattle trail, constructed by John Shafer in 1917. In the late 1940s and early 1950s uranium miners looked for ways to remove ore from what is now the White Rim area, they turned old cattle routes into truck routes. Shafer Trail, also known as San Juan County Route 142, was completed in October 1952.

493 views
5 faves
4 comments
Taken on September 24, 2011