Queen's Hall Orchestra.
A real photo [c1909] postcard of the Queen's Hall Orchestra and their conductor Mr Henry J. Wood [1869-1944] in the Queen's Hall.
The card is postmarked Sept 1911 the year Wood was made a Knight and the sender of the card writes about 'Sir' Henry Wood, although the front of the card carries the style 'Mr' Henry J. Wood.
The Queen’s Hall Orchestra was founded in 1895 to inaugurate the Promenade Concerts and was renamed the New Queen’s Hall Orchestra in 1915.
For thirty-two years it gave nearly every Promenade Concert at Queen’s Hall, London under Henry Wood’s direction.
Both the Queen's Hall Orchestra and the Promenade Concerts at Queen's Hall were founded by and managed by Robert Newman [1858-1926] until his death.
The concerts were so closely associated with the name of the conductor [Sir] Henry J. Wood that they are now the Henry Wood Promenade Concerts.
In 1927 the BBC took over the running of the concerts.
The Queen's Hall, situated in Langham Place, London, was opened in 1893 and destroyed during an air raid in 1941