Ladbroke Hall (former Clement Talbot Motor Works)
View of what used to be the administration building of the Clement Talbot Motor Works (now Ladbroke Hall) on Barlby Road and Rootes Drive London W10. This was the UK's first purpose-built car factory.
“The new company was incorporated on the 11th day of October, 1902, and five acres of land were quickly bought for the factory buildings in Ladbroke Grove, North Kensington. It was a mournful part of London. To the south, the site fronted on the Edinburgh Road (almost immediately to be renamed Barlby Road), and it was bounded on the north by the Great Western Railway line at the point where those splendid locomotives of Daniel Gooch, thundering up from the West Country at record-breaking speeds began to apply the brakes for the final run-in to the terminus at Paddington two miles away. On the other side of the tracks the Kensal Green cemetery and gasworks were scarcely the liveliest of neighbours, though the presence of Wormwood Scrubs barely 400 yards to the west was no doubt some compensation. It was, however, suitably virgin soil for the construction of the most advanced plant in Europe, where the cars of M. Clement could be assembled in the style to be expected of an English peer. The workshops, built in brick with the latest saw-tooth roof line liberally glazed to provide the maximum natural light, were equipped with the most modern machine tools from every part of the world; and to create the proper public image, the reception area immediately inside the front doors was laid out like a miniature palace, boasting marble Ionic columns, gilded frescoes and stained glass windows etched with the Shrewsbury coat of arms.”
From “Gorges Roesch and the Invincible Talbot” by Anthony Blight