new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Waithe, Lincolnshire | by Vitrearum (A B Barton)
Back to photostream

Waithe, Lincolnshire

In 1861 George Haigh of Grainsby commisioned Louth architect James Fowler to rebuild the derelict medieval church at Waithe as a family mausoleum. Fowler built a complete new church in the Early English style around the remaining Saxo-Norman tower of the late 11th century. Fowler added lavish internal decoration, the chancel with apse is a riot of colour due to the profuse use of Minton encaustic tiles. The chancel walls incorporate lozenge shaped memorials to members of the Haigh family buried in a vault beneath.

1,706 views
4 faves
0 comments
Taken on June 17, 2008