The Blue Grotto was discovered in August 1826 by German writer August Kopisch, who described its extraordinary beauty. Since then the Blue Grotto has become the symbol of the island of Capri, but its enchantment goes back to a time when it was well known by the Romans, as proved by the antique statues which were found in the Grotto. This discovery, the remains of an ancient landing place and work on an underground tunnel create an image of a natural cave decorated with statues around the intense and brilliant blue of the sea that fascinates visitors even now. The grotto was known to locals as Gradola, after the nearby landing place of Gradola, but it was avoided because of rumors that it was inhabited by witches and monsters. The real magic of the cave is that sunlight, passing through an underwater cavity and shining through the water, creates a blue reflection that illuminates the cavern.
Due to the rough surf, we were unable to enter.