New Shanghai Terrace Bowl nightclub, Oakland 1940's
This is the cover to a souvenir photograph that was sold to patrons at the club. Herbalist/restaurateur Fong Wan re-opened this Oakland dine n' bowl outfit in 1940 with an aggressive promotional campaign that included coupons handed out in stores. He also owned the Nanking Café and Club Shanghai (see elsewhere here for a menu cover for the latter). In 1942 the Terrace Bowl occupied 421-425 10th St., and by 1944 it had expanded to 415-425. However, a Billboard magazine of June 8, 1946 reports that Fong had sold the building to new owners who would rename it the Yorker, but it was a bust. Five months later, the building, "once one of Oakland's raciest night spots," was occupied by the Oakland Revival Temple.
Earlier (at least from 1927), Fong Wan had an office/residence not far away at 576 10th Street which apparently was quite lavish. Also, theater organist George Wright's first regular gig was at the old Shanghai Terrace in 1938, and Wright's show was broadcast nightly by a local radio station (possibly KLS or KLX).