Koningshavenbrug or "de Hef"
Steel railway lift bridge, officially called "Koningshavenbrug" (English: King's Dock Bridge) but soothingly nicknamed "De Hef" (English: The Lift) by the people of Rotterdam, which became the city's showpiece for many years. It was designed by architect J.P. Joosting. "De Hef" is no longer operational, and is listed as an industrial monument.
The railway bridge connected the Noordereiland with the Feijenoord area to the south of the city center. It was the first bridge of her kind in Western Europe. It replaced a railway swing bridge over the Koningshaven that was completed in 1877 and was opened in the following year by King Willem III with great festivity. "De Hef" replaced this swing bridge in 1927, but the bridge elements on either side connecting with the shore were reused from the old bridge, dating them to 1877. The bridge formed part of an elevated track straight through Rotterdam, which was very special at that time!
On 15 September 1993 the Willemspoortunnel (English: Willem railway tunnel) came into operation and the lift bridge became superfluous. The movable part of the bridge is now permanently in a lifted position between the 60 meter high towers to allow ship traffic to pass. The bridge is lit during the night.
HDR from three handheld exposures processed and tonemapped using Photomatix. Wide-angle perspective correction in Photoshop CS4.
Best seen large and on black.