Cary Street Gym, 101 S. Linden St., 1895; 1980s, 2010.
Built in 1891 as a city market, this large brick building soon became known as the City Auditorium. Concerts, graduations, and other events took place here. Acquired by VCU in the early 1980s, it became the Cary Street Gym, an alternative to the Franklin St. Gym. It received a major renovation and expansion in 2010. The building houses two heated, indoor pools, rock climbing wall, indoor track, cycling room, two racquetball courts and space for group exercise classes. (Image: Special Collections and Archives, Cabell Library)