A surrendered brand new Gotha G.Vb bomber in France [Germany, 1918]
A view of a German Gotha G.Vb twin engined bomber post war in France. The original German markings are visible, that is the last form of Balkenkreuz.
The Gotha G.V easily identified by the engine placement between the wings, was developed at the end of the war in two (sub)-types, the G.Va and G.Vb. The G.Va had a complete redesigned tail section, consisting of a double tail and a double rudder. This type of tail section was described in German as 'Kastensteuerung' something like 'box-steering') as the tail section looked like a box. The idea was that in case of dropping out of one engine the machine could still be controlled with this tail section. The G.Va appeared in small numbers end 1917 beginning 1918.
The G.Vb had several extra modifications. Visible on the upper ailerons is a Flettner servo control which made flying for the pilot(s) of this machine somewhat less muscular. Almost not visible (magnification gives it away) is the standard fitting of an extra four-wheel undercarriage (known in German as 'Stossfahrgestell') acting as an anti-noseover precaution. Mark also the mud guards behind the main undercarriage wheels.
According to the stipulations in the Armistice agreement Germany was obliged to surrender ca. 1700 aeroplanes of all sorts (specified) to the Allied forces. It is known that the Germans sent the last batch of Gotha G.Vb bombers directly from the factory to the collection points as specified in the Armistice rules. Surely this is one of them.
Magnificent view of this rare Gotha G.Vb.