Waterloo Bridge : Culpeper County Structure No. 6906 consists of a single-span Pratt through truss with 15
steel beam approach spans carrying Rt. 613 crossing the Rappahannock River. The truss was built in
1878 by the Pittsburgh Iron Co. and retains its masonry piers. The current steel beam approach spans
(with concrete bents) were completed in 1919 and were built by the Virginia Bridge & Iron Company,
replacing earlier deteriorated and flood-damaged wooden approach spans. The bridge is approximately
387 feet long overall; the truss span is 100 feet long. This structure is significant as Virginia’s oldest
surviving in-service metal truss bridge.
(Photo by Trevor Wrayton, VDOT)