The Luquillo forest region was created in 1876 by the King Alfonso XII of Spain, and represents one of the oldest reserves in the Western Hemisphere. It was established as the Luquillo Forest Reserve on 17 January 1903 by the General Land Office with 65,950 acres and became a National Forest in 1906. It was renamed Caribbean National Forest on 4 June 1935 and is home to over 200 species of trees and plants, 23 of which are found nowhere else. An Executive Order signed by President George W. Bush on April 2, 2007 changed the name of the Caribbean National Forest to El Yunque National Forest, that better reflects the cultural and historical feelings of the Puerto Rican people. USDA Forest Service photo.