Bronze on Granite
Gift of District of Columbia, placed during George Washington Bicentennial, 1932
Capitol Plaza fountain terrace
After serving as private homes to successive owners, the houses became hotels and were in greatly altered condition when they were razed in 1913.
Text of the Plaque:
HERE WERE THE LOTS ACQUIRED ON
OCTOBER 3, 1798
BY GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON
AND ON WHICH HE BUILT
TWO BRICK DWELLINGS
FROM DESIGNS BY DR. WILLIAM THORNTON
A DWELLLING REMODELED FROM THE TWO
DWELLINGS WAS OWNED AND OCCUPIED BY
ADMIRAL CHARLES WILKES
THE FAMOUS EXPLORER
This official Architect of the Capitol photograph is being made available for educational, scholarly, news or personal purposes (not advertising or any other commercial use). When any of these images is used the photographic credit line should read “Architect of the Capitol.” These images may not be used in any way that would imply endorsement by the Architect of the Capitol or the United States Congress of a product, service or point of view. For more information visit www.aoc.gov.