First Library of Congress Plaque

    Prev Next

    Text of the Plaque

    THE FIRST LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
    1802-1804
    1810-1814
    THIS TABLET MARKS THE ORIGINAL LOCATION OF
    THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS. AT OTHER TIMES BETWEEN
    1800 AND 1810 THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES,
    THE SENATE AND THE SUPREME COURT MET IN
    THESE QUARTERS.

    ON AUGUST 24, 1814 THE BRITISH CAPTURED
    WASHINGTON AND SET FIRE TO THE CAPITOL. THE
    BOOKS IN THE LIBRARY WERE USED TO KINDLE
    THE FLAMES THAT DESTROYED THIS SECTION OF
    THE BUILDING.

    This official Architect of the Capitol photograph is being made available for educational, scholarly, news or personal purposes (not advertising or any other commercial use). When any of these images is used the photographic credit line should read “Architect of the Capitol.” These images may not be used in any way that would imply endorsement by the Architect of the Capitol or the United States Congress of a product, service or point of view. For more information visit www.aoc.gov.

    The photo owner has disabled commenting.
    keyboard shortcuts: previous photo next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts